Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Pysanky Eggs by Magnolia Rush

On Sunday, my family went to our friend Thomaida's house and we made pysanky. Pysanky are eggs that you draw on with bee's wax and then you dye them. Then you cover the parts you want to stay the dye color with more wax and you dye it a new color. When you are finished decorating, you melt off the bee's wax with a candle and wipe it with a paper towel revealing all of the colors. This is Thomaida's favorite part.  

When I had done the whole process and was melting the bee's wax off my egg, my paper towel caught on fire! Then the burning paper towel fell on my lap. Papa flinged it on to the floor and stomped the fire out. In the process, I fell backward in my chair (Ahhh!) and my second egg broke! After that some people cleaned up the yoke from the egg and the burnt paper towel. After the fire was gone and the yoke was cleaned up, I laughed for a very long time! It was crazy and everyone was talking about it for the rest of the night.

It was a fun night.  Click below to see more pictures.



Maggie with her egg

Brian burning off the wax from one of Kaleia's egg. His black and white one is next to him.
 
Kaleia made four eggs! The ones in the foreground are Thomaida's.
Kaleia's Eggs. Her favorite is the one with a person. 

Shannon's only surviving egg. She dropped one while decorating. 



1 comment:

Unknown said...

These eggs look beautiful!! Maybe you can show me how to do it too. And I'm so glad no one was hurt while melting the wax! Papa to the rescue! ;)