Friday, August 8, 2008

Rush Family Vacation

Every summer Brian's parents invite their kids and families to join them for a week at one of their Worldmark timeshares. This summer the destination was San Diego. The trip coincided with the end of Brian's month at Azusa so we joined them for a few days.

Day 1: San Diego Zoo

We all really enjoyed the Zoo. There was plenty of shade to escape to and the park is designed so you never feel like you are in a huge crowd of people. The animals were really active, especially the Bonobos or Pygmy Chimpanzees. We happened to witness two Bonobos engage in foreplay and then copulate, to which my 7-year old nephew exclaimed, "I do not want to be a Bonobo!"

Day 2: UC San Diego Sculpture Park

After attending church near UC San Diego, we decide to head over to view the sculptures Brian had heard about from a guest speaker this summer. I thought I got a picture of Brian by the massive teddy bear sculpture, but for some reason it's not on my camera. You will have to visit UC San Diego's website to see it.

Day 3: Sea World

Sea World was a little harder with a 5 month old. There is hardly any shade and they don't let you take strollers into the exhibits that are indoors. Also, in contrast with the zoo, it was very crowded! We did get to see a couple of fun shows and one soaking ride. I got really sun burned, but we managed to keep Magnolia safe by using the handy-dandy nursing cover as a light weight sun cover.

Day 4: Oceanside

The next day we packed our car again and drove up the coast to Oceanside, CA for part 2 of the family vacation. We would only be there for one night, but I'm glad we went. Brian, Magnolia and I played on the beautiful beach and walked the pier in the afternoon. Then in the evening, the cousins went swimming. It was a very relaxing day!

Day 5: Alaska Fiasco

Magnolia and I were scheduled to fly back to Seattle at 2:40 pm. We got there plenty early and were pre-boarded with all the other families with young children. I was dreading that part, because Magnolia doesn't like to sit still. Usually once we are in the air the drone of the engine lulls her to sleep, but the boarding process is not pleasant. An hour into this wiggly time, the captain announced "Our plane is broken and we are all scratching our heads trying to figure out what is wrong." Not comforting. Another 30 minutes passed before they decided to de-board and rebook everyone, starting with the people that needed to make a connecting flight in Seattle (i.e. not us). Another mom flying solo and I hooked up, taking turns watching each other's stuff and passing the time. Eventually we were rebooked on a very full 7pm flight. As we were boarding the airline personnel that took my ticket said, "Now you get to fly on a Disney plane!" like that was some consolation. Overtired Magnolia did not want to sit still for this second boarding process. The wiggling continued most of the flight, partially due to our neighbor that kept shaking and folding her newspaper. Finally Maggie fell asleep as the pilot turned on the seat belt light for our landing. Exhausted we both slept most of the next day!

No comments: