During weekly camp outs at Camp Firwood I perfected my favorite standard S'more recipe:
- Spread peanut butter on half a graham cracker
- Put chocolate on top of peanut butter
- Place cracker combo on foil on a rock at the edge of the coals so the chocolate softens
- Roast marshmallow until golden brown
- Squeeze marshmallow off roasting stick between prepared cracker and a second cracker
In the years following my summers at Firwood, my sister and I have experimented with various candy bars to replace the traditional Hershey's chocolate -- Our favorites are Milky Way and Peppermint Patties -- so we were excited to see coconut marshmellows at the store yesterday. We had yet to experiment with the marshmallow in s'mores and we both love chocolate dipped macaroons so we had to try them.
Our verdict: They tasted very similar to a macaroon, were best with dark chocolate, rich enough that you didn't want to eat many.
Warning: If you try the coconut marshmallows, they are very HOT after they are roasted. I recieved a huge blister on my finger when trying to position mine on my cracker.
What are your favorite ways to enjoy this campfire treat? Leave a recipe in the comments and participate in the poll!