Saturday, July 3, 2010

Remembering our GG

I was lucky enough to grow up with 3 out of 4 of my great-grandmas. Two of them even lived across the street from one another! GG was my last remaining and just after Magnolia was born we were able to get a picture with her and the next four generations of first born daughters.

Nancy Ann Morrison, my GG, was born January 4, 1922 in Omaha, Nebraska. She passed away on June 29, 2010 in Yakima, Washington after several long years battling with Alzheimer's.

At her request there was not a service, just family gathered at the grave site to share memories. Though she didn't remember many of us the last few years, I will always remember her beautiful garden, her candy jar, her strong hugs and sassy spirit.

A couple times on the ride over, I explained to Magnolia what the day was going to look like, when we were going to play and when we needed to be quiet and listen. Each time she listened closely, but I wasn't sure if it made sense.

Maggie was pretty subdued during the graveside service. Afterward, she proudly told my mom, "Today we are remembering our GG."





After the grave side goodbye, everyone relocated to Grandma Pat's house for a BBQ and family reunion of sorts. It was a fitting location, celebrating in a beautiful garden. The girls had fun playing in the grass with aunts and cousins they rarely see.

Kaleia stood on her own for the first time and spent the afternoon practicing.

It was such a full day -- full of looking back and looking forward. Remembering the life of GG while watching my girls lives begin. One of those great days to pause and think about where I've been, where I am, and where I want to go on this journey.

No comments: