Saturday, April 14, 2007

Why Blog?

All this year, I have made it a habit of regularly checking friends' blogs as a brain break. Brian and I have discussed the blogging phenomenon and its implications on community several times. Blogs allow us to check up on each other at our leisure leaving us feeling more connected and a false sense of community without the risks of actually building relationships. In spite of this I am addicted.

Recently I started thinking about why I like blogs. I think it comes down to my love of story. When I was an RA at SPU an important ritual I arranged was a time called Life Stories. Each girl had the opportunity to bring pictures and mementos to share with others on our floor what she felt was important from her life. I loved these times. When friends or family get together today I love hearing stories about the odd things that happen to people and I am really excited I have something to share. Sometimes this is a problem because I often take the sharing opportunities from Brian, which is a bummer because he is such a good story teller.

During my reflection I came to the realization that although blogs can give us a false sense of community, they also provide a venue for sharing stories that would otherwise be forgotten in the fast paced life we live in. Many people I care about are spread all over the world and, when I get together with them now and then, the question always comes to mind "Where do we start?" So I hope our Blog provides more starting places for real community. So please as you visit our blog and hopefully read about our feats, fiascos, and musings use it as a conversation started with us, in person, through email, or just leave a comment!

We hope you enjoy!

No comments: