Saturday, October 30, 2010

Where did all the steaming went?

Sitting at the dining room table with Magnolia is always an adventure. Like her Papa, she eats very slowly. She is distracted by almost anything. She has her captive audience. Usually, her food is cold or uneaten by the time the meal wraps up.

"Where did all the steaming went?"

Hmm, how am I going to explain this.

"It disappeared." Furrowed brows. Nope, that isn't going to work.

"Your food is cool now, so there isn't any more steam."

"But where did it go?" Darn.

"Well, it mixed in with all the other air so we can't see it any more." How far do I go explaining diffusion and the molecular make up of matter?

I look over at her. She is bending this way and that, lifting up her placemat and looking under the table.

"I'm looking for the steaming that's all mixed in," she says matter of factly. "I didn't find it."

Thankfully, distracted by something else, she returned to her slow eating process and didn't press me for a better explanation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard this story. So fun to read now!!

Nana